Beer can chicken is one of our favourite ways to cook a whole bird. There’s varying opinions on how well it works, but we’ve always found it to keep the chicken moist and flavourful, and most importantly, evenly cooked.
We recommend using a bullet smoker for this, where you can lower the grill down in the drum and give plenty of clearance for the lid.
We also use a beer like Sapporo, as the shape of the can is good for propping up the chicken.
- 1 Family size free-range chicken
- 1 can wheat beer (we use Sapporo, both for the tastes and the shape of the can)
- Lane’s Garlic2 rub
- Moonshine BBQ Chicken Rub
- Bunch of rosemary sprigs
- 1 lemon, quartered
- Clove of garlic, halved
- Herb butter (we use Organic Milk Co Thyme and Pepper infused)
- Lump charcoal (as always, we use Heat Beads)
Beer Can Chicken Method
- Prepare the smoker by adding a chimney of lit lump to a bed of unlit. Aim for a temperature of 350F
- Trim any excess fat from around the chicken cavity
- Loosen the skin from the breast by sliding your fingers under the skin
- Cut a few discs of butter and slide under the skin
- Season with a base of Garlic rub and a generous covering of Moonshine BBQ Chicken rub
- Empty 1/3 of the beer out of the can (and drink it if you like….), and add a few sprigs of rosemary, sliced garlic and lemon quarter to the can
- Drop your cooking grate to the lowest it can go in the smoker, and add a roasting tray to stabilise the can on the grate, and stand the can upright in the middle.
- Stand the chicken upright on the can and close the lid
- Check the chicken at 45 minutes for colour and begin basting with melted butter
- Begin checking for temperature. Chicken is cooked at 165F internal temp. Check the breast temp, and the thigh at the thickest part of the meat
- Remove the chicken and from the smoker by using heat proof gloves or a tea towel. Carefully remove the can from the cavity and discard.
- Slice and serve the chicken
Moonshine BBQ Chicken Rub – 100g
Whether you are cooking a whole chook, some chicken Maryland, or skinless fillets, the Moonshine BBQ Chicken Rub is perfect for any cut.
Packed with herbs and spices to give it both colour and flavour, it will give you a striking cut of meat to serve up at any occasion.
1 in stock
The post Beer Can Barbecue Chicken appeared first on Moonshine BBQ.